Good oral hygiene is a topic that your Summerville orthodontist will discuss with every patient who has braces. You know it’s essential to keep your teeth clean, but this daily habit is a bit more challenging when you have brackets and wires on your teeth. Brushing and flossing are crucial throughout this treatment and require a little more work. But it’s worth the effort to prevent cavities and gum disease during this time.
Does the Risk of Cavities Go Up with Braces?
Braces don’t cause cavities. But the placement of the brackets on your teeth can increase the likelihood of food getting stuck. If these food particles are left on the surface of the teeth, then plaque starts to develop, and the acids can result in the development of tooth decay.
Braces create more places where food particles can build up and cause cavities. However, there is nothing to worry about if you practice good oral hygiene habits because the food and acid are quickly removed from your teeth.
Proper Teeth Cleaning While Wearing Braces
It takes more effort to clean your teeth while wearing braces. Your Summerville orthodontist can provide recommendations for your oral hygiene habits, such as:
- Brush your teeth multiple times a day: in the morning, after eating, and before bed
- Use fluoride toothpaste to strengthen your teeth
- Minimize your consumption of sugary and starchy foods, including candy, soda, and desserts
- Floss at least once a day using a floss threader to get the floss under the braces and between the teeth
- Consider using a Waterpik to dislodge food from the brackets
- If you are prone to cavities, talk to your Summerville orthodontist about using a fluoride mouthwash
- Maintain regular dental cleanings and exams while you are wearing braces
Learn More About Braces
What questions do you have about oral hygiene while wearing braces? Our team at Crescent Moon Orthodontics is here to help. Contact us at your convenience to learn more about available treatment options to straighten your smile.